At Sulzer, you are empowered to deliver superior results. As a pioneer in industry we have a proud heritage of innovation and continue to evolve for the future. Join our story and create your own impact by developing your expertise and building solutions that help make our lives safer, smarter and more sustainable.
Coming on board of Sulzer, you become part of the organization accredited with double AA rating on ESG (Environment Social and Governance) granted by one of the most prestigious ranking agency (MSCI).
Head of ESH (Environment, Safety and Health) and Sustainability for Services Division
As our Global Head of ESH and Sustainability, you will be leading the safety mandate of Sulzer Services Division, with direct impact on 4500 employees. You will also be the lead in driving the reduction of the environmental impact of our 100+ Service centers worldwide. Moreover, in addition to the strategic work at divisional level, as a dual role, you will have the opportunity and responsibility of delivering the Division ESH & Sustainability agenda directly into the EMEA region (Europe Middle East Africa).
Reporting to the Services Division President who is member of Sulzer Executive Committee, you will be accountable at Division level for:
- Implementing EHS strategies in conjunction with business groups and operations to ensure achievement of business objectives in changing markets and conditions across our service locations and manufacturing sites.
- Providing functional leadership and management of Regional ESH Heads (dotted line reporting), including performance management, as well as training and coaching.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing the global ESH community and management organization to further develop a sustainable proactive culture, ensuring our ESH goals are understood, and our community members are supported towards achieving these goals.
- Developing the tools and trainings to continuously improve ESH and Sustainability leadership, drive cultural change and human performance throughout the organization.
- Managing Sulzer Services environmental results and performance namely through definition of improvement plans to secure our path to carbon neutrality.
- Mentoring and leading ESH and Sustainability related event & audit analysis, delving into root causes and patterns to determine preventative and corrective action plans for continuous improvements.
- Being part of the Group ESH core leadership team to lead the ESH agenda and co-design Group-wide initiatives.
In your capacity as Head of ESH for EMEA Services, you will be responsible for:
- Implementing the defined priorities at division level within EMEA region.
- Facilitating and supporting local operations teams in establishing focused ESH objectives and targets based on the priorities agreed within the BU Management team.
- Reporting on Sulzer ESH platforms and analyzing relevant ESH KPIs according to stated reporting deadlines, informing and communicating to EMEA Management Team/stakeholders; overseeing the organization of scheduled safety walks and monitoring effective and timely close out of actions from safety observations.
- Overseeing the implementation of key ESH initiatives (e.g. Highly Hazardous Activity Self-Assessments, implementation of Life saving rules, STOP work procedure etc.). Performing regular audits to ensure compliance and effectiveness of implementation.
- Managing on a dotted line basis the ESH managers in the different countries and ensuring in close cooperation with their line managers proper training and objective setting.
As a candidate, you have the following abilities:
- Passion for safety and sustainability
- Excellent communication skills allowing you to interact and influence at all levels, from the shop floor to the C-suite, suppliers, contractors and customers
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate across various cultures
- Ability to coordinate, interact and lead by influence
- Strong leadership skills, enabling you to inspire teams across different geographies and disciplines, being a powerhouse of ideas and solutions, challenging the status quo and enabling a cultural shift
- Good analytical skills to drive performance and design improvement plans
- Ability to travel frequently (30 - 50%)
You are expected to come with the following qualifications & experience:
- Higher Education in ESH, including international standards (such as but not limited to ISO standards), a good knowledge of various ESH regulations and human factors, management systems with maturity levels
- Proven track record of improving safety and environmental footprint in your former companies
- Proven experience of providing practical and pragmatic solutions to solve ESH problems experienced by operational teams
- Fluency in English as it is Sulzer business language, any other language is considered as a plus
- A sound industrial knowledge is appreciated, ideally in the service environment
- A sound knowledge of the manufacturing and project environments is a plus
- Attractive compensation
- Excellent social benefits
- Global development opportunities
- An innovative, vibrant, and agile culture
- The chance to make an impact at a global scale
Location: We are based in Winterthur. This is a great place with a high quality of life. At the same time, we are also flexible to candidates located in one of our key European footprints (UK, Germany, France).
Have a question about the role? Reach out to Andrea Müller at +41 (0)52 262 35 68 or Click to send email. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Sulzer is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
83% of our employees recommend Sulzer as a good place to work - so come and join our story, starting today!