Biomedical Full Stack Application Developer
NEXUS is an ETH core facility created to enable and accelerate the execution of translational research projects by providing key technological resources, tools, and collaboration opportunities for the biomedical research & development community. The Clinical Bioinformatics Unit of NEXUS (CBU) has the mission to apply expertise in bioinformatics, software engineering, and statistics to advance the clinical application of state-of-the-art computational methods. We are recruiting a Biomedical Full Stack Application Developer to commence immediately or by mutual agreement.
At CBU, we process large amounts of data, extract relevant insights, and deliver complex results to end users without quantitative background. Furthermore, querying large databases, indexing unstructured data, and integrating various data types becomes increasingly important in medical applications. One focus of our work is to adhere to existing standards on reproducibility and interoperability and to make our software openly available to the global community. Simultaneously, working at the interface between research and healthcare, CBU follows guidelines regarding ethical and legal aspects.
For our dynamic and international team we are looking for a new colleague to help us push the limit with respect to providing software tools for clinical bioinformatics to collaborators. The position is fixed term for one year with the prospect of renewal and is located in Basel. We strive for a long-term employment relationship.
- Training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility for part-time work and home office
- Motivated team aiming to work together
- Diverse tasks
- Support cutting edge research in health care
- strong experience with full-stack web development
- front-end: preferably react.js/vue.js
- back-end: django, flask, or comparable frameworks
- API: writing/querying REST APIs, JSON
- strong experience with python and bash scripting
- strong affinity for handling large amounts of data (store and exchange)
- experience with Resource Description Framework (RDF) and SPARQL
- experience with HTML and CSS
- experience with SQL
- experience with XML
- fluency in English, both verbal and written
In addition to the essentials we are looking for:
- data conversion skills (e.g. database content to xml, json)
- familiarity with DevOps (e.g. docker)
- affinity with security mechanisms, such as OAuth2 and token-based authentication in general
- familiarity with bioinformatics tools (e.g. variant callers)
- familiarity with workflow managers (e.g. snakemake, dagster)
- experience working with HPC
- knowledge of German
\nETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in
science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education,
cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge
into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our
university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an
environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe,
yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to
develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
We look forward to receiving your online application including:
- cover letter
- reference letters/work certificates
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information please contact David Meyer, Click to send email (no applications) or visit our website. As a core facility, we do not offer PhD or Postdoc training positions.
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.