Sourcing Manager - Negative Emission Technologies
Apply for this job
South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
The Sourcing Manager will originate and develop business relations primarily in Switzerland and globally with project owners, finance and technology providers implementing technical carbon dioxide removal projects. In this role you will focus on Negative Emission Technologies (NETs) that include but are not limited to Direct Air Carbon Capture & Storage (DACCS), Bioenergy Carbon Capture & Storage (BECCS), Carbon Capture Utilisation & Storage (CCUS) with biogenic CO2 sources, including CO2 mineralisation, as well as non-technical removal technologies such as biochar or certain soil carbon interventions. Reporting to the Head of Swiss Projects and working closely with the Swiss Sourcing/Project team to prepare a carbon removal project pipeline, you would also be engaged with other regional Sourcing teams on NETs. In addition, you will collaborate with the Technical Removals Global Practice Lead, assessing opportunities and their viability in detail and present results to the Structured Carbon Finance (SCF) team to provide finance potentially.
The type of commercial relations between South Pole and the Removal project may include Joint Ventures, grant provision, offering consultancy services or signing Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements, and the scope of the cooperation would consist of joint research, emission reduction methodology development, closing project finance gaps and making available verified emission reduction units to South Pole’s Key Account Management team.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Structuring and sourcing new projects that are eligible for carbon finance, especially technical removal technologies
- Negotiate and sign Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements (ERPAs), Joint Venture agreements, consulting agreements or research related agreements
- Drive business development, including targeted business meetings, leading pitching sessions, financial analysis and liaising with clients
- Supported by the Carbon Finance unit, developing relevant documentation and financial analysis with Project Owners and the project implementation team as needed to facilitate investment by South Pole or by third parties into emission reduction project opportunities
- Proactive networking with relevant organisations including attending relevant gatherings and conferences and expanding the existing network
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project owners, relevant regulatory regimes/policies in Switzerland but also globally
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within South Pole globally in regards to project leads and opportunities, including with the Climate Investments team
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation, interaction with other teams, policies) are in line with the company guidelines
- A University degree in a relevant field (e.g. Environmental Management, Sustainability) or a broader field with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues (e.g. Engineering, Business/Management/Finance/Law) is preferred. Ideally a Masters degree
- At least 5 years of specific experience in environmental markets, particularly in carbon markets
- Thorough understanding of carbon products and markets, preferably including project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Solid commercial acumen, business development, strong networking and stakeholder management skills
- A technical understanding of removal technologies and ideally a broad understanding of related regulations/policies globally, with a focus on carbon market regulations in Switzerland would be required
- Experience in working on tenders and creating complex commercial offers to clients
- Excellent analytical, competency with Excel and other analytical tools and, as an advantage, experience with project finance
- Demonstrated belief in and commitment to climate change mitigation and broader sustainability objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced international environment
- Have excellent communications skills in verbal and written German as well as English, other languages such as French are a plus
- National, or holder of a valid required work visa in the host country
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications
- Experience working with emission reduction methodology development would be an added advantage
- Leadership and strategic management experience is of advantage
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Apply for this job
- Sourcing Manager, Sustainable Technologies - South AsiaProject Sourcing·New Delhi
- Financial Administrative Coordinator, Carbon PortfolioProject Sourcing·Bogotá, Medellin
- Senior Nature-Based Solutions Project Developer - South East AsiaProject Sourcing·Jakarta
Directions+41 43 501 35 50View page
Life as a Penguin on the Iceberg
Health & Wellbeing
We believe that health is central to happiness. We organise many wellbeing activities such as yoga, meditation sessions, sports groups, healthy snacks, active breaks, etc.
From flexible working hours to flexible workplace (home office), with above-average vacation allowances, we strive to make the work and family life puzzle an easy one for our employees.
We practice what we preach
From Vegan Days to plastic-free lunches, off-setting our own Company emissions and countless other initiatives, we fully live our values and lead by example on a daily basis.
Company outings and events
It is not only hard work, we also have lots of fun! We frequently get together to celebrate our successes, do activities together and get to know each other better
What makes us unique
At South Pole, we are first and foremost a purpose-driven Company. People join us because they believe in our mission and want to be part of a community that fights together for our shared values and beliefs. But that is not the only reason why working at South Pole is such a rewarding experience.
- We know that our vision to help create a greener world is both bold and challenging. To achieve it, we settle for nothing less than the absolute best. We form a Community that is stronger than the sum of its parts.
- Entrepreneurial at heart. It’s not just our founders who are entrepreneurs. We actively promote an innovative mindset at all levels of the organisation, where each and every employee is encouraged to challenge the status quo and empowered to make decisions.
- Growing employees in a growing company. With a team of smart, passionate and engaged colleagues, as well as an increasing demand from our clients, opportunities to learn, develop our skills and grow our careers are endless.
- All for one, and one for all! Above all other things, what truly drives our dedication and commitment to our purpose is our colleagues. We learn from each other and grow together. Because that is who Penguins are.
About South Pole
At South Pole, we work with businesses and governments across the globe. We help realise deep decarbonisation pathways across industries, based on a thorough understanding of climate risks and opportunities in specific sectors, as well as the highest emission reduction standards.
Visit www.southpole.com for more information.
Founded in 2006 Coworkers 550+