CPG Process Engineer at the Geothermal Energy and Geofluids Group
The ETH Zürich Geothermal Energy & Geofluids Group (GEG) investigates reactive fluid and (geothermal) energy transfer in the Earth’s crust as well as geologic CO2 sequestration to help reduce climate change and promote sustainable energy utilization. The GEG group employs computer simulations, laboratory experiments and field analyses to gain fundamental insights and to develop sustainable technologies that address society’s needs. One of these technologies (co-invented by Prof. Martin Saar - founder and chair of the GEG group) is CO2-Plume Geothermal (CPG), which turns CCS into CCUS by extracting geothermal energy from the CO2 whilst ultimately geologically sequestering all injected CO2. A CPG Process Engineering / postdoc position is becoming available on the 1st of November 2023 or later upon agreement, to advance this technology.
We are seeking an individual who is highly motivated to drive the development and optimization of surface facilities for CPG, ranging from conceptual engineering to techno-economics. As CPG Process Engineer you will contribute to coupled surface - subsurface optimization of CPG, including the identification of novel methods for the seperation of impurities in the CO2 production stream, sizing of CO2 turbines and CO2 coolers and condensers, and CPG techno-economics. Your conceptual engineering capability will lead to innovative field development plans and integration opportunities with users of the power produced by CPG. Leveraging your expertise and modeling insights, your innovative thinking extends the state-of-the-art of CPG technology and drives the development of high-value CPG projects together with industry partners.
You have a university degree (MSc or PhD) in Mechanical/Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent technical subject and (preferably) 4 years of process engineering experience in the oil and gas (or similar) industry, as well as:
- Experience in applying principles of mass and heat transfer to deliver innovative concept designs (Pre-FEED). As part of an integrated team, developed scope definition for various facility concepts and analyzing/recommending results to maximize asset performance. Ensured alignment of scope and inputs to cost estimating model
- Strong experience in numerical modeling / simulating multiphase-multicomponent fluid and energy transfer and thermodynamic processes using process simulation software (e.g., flowsheeting tools, PRO-II, Unisim, HYSYS, ChemPro, EES, etc.)
- Experience in delivering Equipment Lists, Flow Diagrams (Block, Process, Utility), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), Equipment Data Sheets, Layouts, Design Philosophies, Heat & Material Balances, Design Basis documentation, Optimization/Cost Reduction studies and benchmarking of facility designs
- Demonstrated Process Safety exposure in an asset or project (HAZOP / Process Safety Review / HEMP)
- Experience in techno-economics and identifying innovative solutions to add value to your projects
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams, with exposure to reservoir engineering, geology, production chemistry and production technology
- Participated design reviews and risk assessments
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Self-motivated team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Fluency in English is required
The following experience is a plus
- rotating equipment
- geothermal power plant design
- CCS / CCUS projects
- flow assurance / surface network modelling (e.g. Petex IPM Suite)
- data analytics and visualization (use of Python or equivalent)
- technology field piloting experience
- publishing research results in peer-reviewed journals
We offer a dynamic and exciting work environment at the cutting edge of emerging energy technology with the potential to deliver large-scale power while geologically sequestering CO2.
The position is for one year with the strong possibility of yearly extensions during a 4-year period, depending on the project and employee performance.Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values
, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
Cover letter describing your motivation, experience and qualification for the position
diplomas and relevant work certificates
if available, a professional reference letter
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
If you have questions about this position, please reach out to Jasper de Reus (CPG Project Manager), Write an email.
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.